Mold Allergy Symptoms
Mold Allergy Symptoms. Understand Common Allergies & Symptoms For Mold Allergies.
Mold is a fungus that grows in the form a Hypha which is a long, branching filament. You know it when you see the green layer of mold on an orange or bread that has gone bad. Mold causes biodegradation of foods. You also get the nasty smell that comes with food spoilage. We ripped out the lower half of a bedroom wall and discovered a 2 x 10 area of black mold.
Mold Spore Allergy
Many people are very susceptible to mold. I can definitely smell when I walk into a damp musty basement or room. People who already have existing allergies to pet dander and animals are at greater risk of having allergies to mold.
What Are Mold Allergy Symptoms?
Mold allergies are common and their symptoms are similar to other kinds of allergies. Symptoms vary from person to person and range from mild to severe. You'll normally see:
- Breathing trouble
- Chest tightness
- Constantly clearing throat
- Itchy ears and/or eyes
- Itchy throat
- Postnasal drip
- Red eyes
- Runny or stuffy nose
For mold control and relief you can try:
- Clean around the sinks. Don't allow any standing water inside the house.
- Direct water away from your home
- Fill in low areas around the house. Try to have the least amount of standing water possible.
- Fix the leaking roof
- Fix water leaks in and around the house
- Keep ceiling fan on and air moving or get a floor fan
- Keep gutters clean
- Keep the area around your house clean. No leaves and keep bushes and shrubs clean and properly cut back.
- Keep the clothes washer open
- Keep your basement clean and clear. Remove old papers and clothes. Choose flooring such as linoleum or concrete. Use a dehumidifier and wrap items in plastic or use plastic storage bins.
- Label your food and put a date on it. This way you'll know how old it is and if it should be eaten or thrown away.
- Limit your time in flower shops and other businesses that may have mold. Antique stores are great but you'll probably get that antique smell.
- Properly ventilate your kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, and other high-moisture areas
- Use a dehumidifier in your house. You want to decrease and control the amount of moisture in the air.
- Use an air conditioner and vacuum with a HEPA filter
- Use bleach to kill mold in easy to reach places
- Use exhaust fan while showering or bathing
- Wear a dust mask when you're outside or doing any yard work
- Weekly clean out the fridge. Throw away rotten food and wipe the shelves down with a wet rag.
- Wipe down the shower after using it
If you think you're exhibiting mold allergy symptoms it's best to talk to your doctor or allergist. These kinds of allergic reactions can be uncomfortable and in some cases you or your loved may end up in the hospital. It's best to get professional help. The doctor or allergist can perform a series of tests to determine the root cause of the allergy and treat it accordingly.
Allergies Home > Mold Allergy Symptoms
Top Of Page