Sulfite Allergy

Sulfite Allergy Signs: Common Allergies and Symptoms Of A Food Allergy & Food Intolerance Symptoms.

sulfite allergy, sulfites in wine, allergys, allergic to sulfite, allergic to sulfur

Sulfites are sulfur based  that can either be used as a food preservative or it can occur naturally. As a preservative it can go by other names such as potassium bisulfite or sodium bisulfite and can be used in certain dried fruits and potatoes. It can naturally occur in wines and alcoholic ciders. Organic wines and ciders seem to have lower sulfite levels. 

In 1986 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States banned using sulfites in raw fresh fruits and vegetables.

Sulfite Allergy Reactions

Please don't mistake this for a sulfa allergy. They're not the same. Sulfa allergy means that people may react to medications that contain sulfa. 

Antibiotics that may have sulfonamides can trigger a sulfa allergy reaction. Other medications that may cause an allergy symptom are Sulfasalazine, Glyburide, and diuretics such as Furosemide. If you're on an allergy medication you should talk to your doctor about the possibility of sulfites being the preservative of your meds.

These can include meds to treat: 

  • Anesthetics
  • Cardiovascular disease 
  • Nausea
  • Pain relievers
  • Vomiting
sulfite allergy, sulfites in wine, allergys, allergic to sulfite, allergic to sulfur

What Is A Food Allergy?

A food allergy is your body's hyperactive state when it come into contact with something its allergic to. For most people sulfite is not serious. To the best of my knowledge a soybean allergic reaction is rarely life-threatening.

For those that do have a sulfite allergy the signs and symptoms usually develop within a few minutes to hours after eating a food containing a sulfite allergen. Some people can have an allergic reaction or intolerance to sulfites which causes unwanted symptoms. Symptoms vary from person to person and can display themselves in a variety of ways.

Food Allergy Reactions

Only about 0.5%  of people have an actual allergy to sulfites. These symptoms can manifest themselves shortly after consuming it. In severe cases the victim can get anaphylaxis shock which is very dangerous. It's a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate medical attention.

Many times those that are susceptible to anaphylaxis shock will carry epinephrine, sometimes called an EpiPen. This gives the person a shot of adrenaline and offers enough time to get him to the emergency room. Anaphylaxis symptoms can include:

  • Difficulty in breathing. The victim may have a swollen throat or airway making it difficult to breathe.
  • Facial flush 
  • Lightheadedness 
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Severe drop in blood pressure
  • Stomach pain
sulfite allergy, sulfites in wine, allergys, allergic to sulfite, allergic to sulfur

Examples of foods that may contain sulfites to varying degrees include:

  • Apple cider
  • Baked foods
  • Beer, wine, and some soft drinks
  • Canned fruits and vegetables
  • Condiments
  • Cookies
  • Crackers
  • Dehydrated fruit
  • Dehydrated potatoes (instant mashed potatoes)
  • Flavored juices like grape, vegetable, lemon and/or lime
  • Fruit toppings
  • Gravies
  • Jelly
  • Lobster
  • Molasses
  • Pickles
  • Pie crust
  • Pizza crust
  • Potato chips
  • Scallops
  • Shrimp (both fresh and frozen)
  • Soup mixes
  • Tea

If you think you have a sulfite allergy or an intolerance it's best to talk to your doctor or allergist. These kinds of food allergy symptoms can be potentially life threatening due to the possibility of Anaphylactic shock so it's best to get professional help. The doctor or allergist can perform a series of tests to determine the root cause of the allergy and treat it accordingly.

One of the best ways to control these symptoms is to eliminate or severely restrict sulfites in your diet.  

Go To:

> Sulfite Allergy
Top Of Page